Thursday, September 6, 2012

Two More Hoops

Tuesday I had my first counseling appointment with the nutrition people. It wasn't at all what I expected. You know, talking about how I eat now and how I'll eat post-op. No, it was more like they were trying to talk me out of having this procedure. That's how it felt, anyway. Since my BMI is 41, and has only been this high for a short time, there was almost an implication that I should try dieting again. Yeah, um no. I am at Stage 2 hypertension with my blood pressure, and we are on a mission to find comorbidities. I need to go have a bunch of blood work done tomorrow to rule out high cholesterol and diabetes. I wont be the least bit surprised if this big 2 hour test shows that I am diabetic. I'm tired and thirsty all the time. I will go back for my second visit in two weeks.

Today I had my first psych eval appointment and it was so comfortable and enjoyable, I almost didn't want to leave! The psychologist must be at least 70 years old and he was funny and very nice to talk with. He was very happy that I have done so much research, independently reached out to support groups, and even gotten myself a mentor through the bariatric center's support group. He said he feels I am informed, ready, and committed. We laughed about almost wishing to find something wrong. "I sure hope I'm diabetic! Come on, cholesterol!!" I will see him again at the end of next week, after I've gotten my blood work results, gone to my first support group meeting, and a meeting with my mentor. Today's visit was mainly a friendly chat with him asking lots of questions about my family, my support system, and how I see the rest of my life as a sleeved woman. Next week he will write a report, let me read it, and then submit it to my surgeon for my file.

I bought some khaki Riders shorts on clearance last night so I'd have something to wear other than yoga  pants or gym shorts. They're an 18W so I didn't bother trying them on. They are quite snug and that makes the cute top I got with them look very unappealing. Hey, I'm on my way to doing something about it, though, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment