Saturday, September 15, 2012

Pushing Onward

Things are beginning to happen fast now.

I had my last PSYCH appointment yesterday and he confirmed that I am a good candidate for this surgery. I have a copy of his report and he said some really nice things about my personality. Bright, congenial, intelligent... and ready.

I received some unsettling results from the glucose tolerance test last week. My fasting glucose was 125, which is one point below full-blown diabetes. I see the NUT on Wednesday to go over all the results from that blood work. I can't imagine that this would delay my surgery since the surgery would likely reverse this condition quickly.

My EGD has also been scheduled for Friday, September 21st. Not that I'm actually looking forward to it, but I'm looking forward to it being DONE. I want all the hoops to be scheduled so I can jump through them.

In addition to these, I received a thick packet from the pulmonary group saying my testing with their office is scheduled for October 12. I have about 20 pages of forms and questionnaires to fill out for them. They will schedule the sleep study after my preliminary testing. I may check with the surgeon to see if the sleep study is absolutely necessary. I snore lightly and occasionally, but only if I lie on my back. I've never awakened gasping for air or choking. I know that if there is the slightest hint of sleep apnea, I will have to take the time to get a CPAP, then do another sleep study with the CPAP... I don't want to prolong this any more. And if there is any sleep apnea, this surgery will reverse it, too.

I think I may have mentioned that I've reached out to a support group and have connected with a mentor who was sleeved two years ago. I finally met her for coffee yesterday and we had a wonderful chat. She is an itty bitty thing, but she used to be 289 pounds. Seriously! She lost 100 lbs. in her first year and 89 pounds in the 6 months following. She has gained a little bit of weight back (on purpose) and has settled at about 120. She looks stunning. She had a boatload of good insights for me. I recommend a mentor to anyone considering this procedure. It's so helpful to have first-hand information.

As of now, I'm probably looking at late October or early November for a surgery date. Patience isn't my strong suit and I've been fat and miserable too long already.

No comments:

Post a Comment