Sunday, August 19, 2012

Step One

I saw my surgeon this past Thursday for the first time and the appointment went very well. He was great - he explained everything, answered all my questions, and gave me great hope. I had a list of questions as long as my arm and he was very patient. I told him I was going to be his poster child and he was very encouraging. I was happy to learn that I am a very good candidate for this surgery.

I have set up my NUT and PSYCH appointments (2 of each) over the next few weeks and the surgeon's office will set up the rest. Since I used to smoke many years ago, I will have a pulmonary visit, I need to have a sleep study since I may have sleep apnea, I need an EGD,cardiology exam, and this Tuesday I am going for my upper GI/ultrasound. These appointments should be finished within 6-8 weeks (probably less) and then, if no follow up is needed, we submit to insurance. Luckily, my insurance is one that approves quickly, sometimes on the same day. Er.Mah.Gerd. This is happening!

I'm so hopeful and I think about this every waking moment, just like I think about being fat every waking moment. I visualize myself in a year, getting ready to turn 50, looking healthier and better than I ever have in my life. I think about going to school functions with my daughter and not trying to hide in the back of the room. I think about hitting the gym with my smoking hot husband on a regular basis again and not having people look at us like such an odd couple. I think about all the things that I'll no longer be held back from anymore. And I think about rocking my size 6 jeans that haven't seen the light of day in way too many years, and posting a lot more photos on FB than I do now.

I reached out to a local bariatric support group and I've learned a lot already. The group is made up of former bariatric patients who have had great success. I hope to one day be part of their mentor group so I can be as helpful to someone else as they have been to me.

I miss the old me. The real me. The fun and active me. I can't wait to be her again.



No comments:

Post a Comment